From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 09:17:45 -0700

Yes, I think it really is that bad a problem.  My son display "classic"
severe celiac symptoms but it took 6 mths to diagnose him, I myself was then
34 (1.5 yrs ago) and was tested and found to be celiac as well.  My adult
symptoms - frequent anemia.

A girl I was introduced to and since became friends suffered for 14 years
before they found it was celiac disease, at 14 she was air-lifted from a
rural town to a renowned city hospital because she was having severe
abdominal pain and they thought she was suffering from apendicitis.  Tests
showed no appendicitis, but nothing was found.  That was one of many times
she was rushed to hospital.  She was diagnosed at 28 with celiac disease.
She has had a bone scan done and has the bones of a 65 yr old woman at 30
yrs old.

I was only tested for celiac disease cause my son was celiac and that I had
shown toddler symptoms and "grew out" of them and only had anemia as an
adult.  None of my doctors ever looked further than giving my 3 mths worth
of iron to bring my levels back up.  I was usually on iron for 3-6 mths of
each year.  If my son hadn't been diagnosed would I ever have been
diagnosed, looking at my freinds case, I think NOT.

My two cents worth on the underdiagnosis opinion.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada