From:
Lisa S Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:03:18 EST

On Sun, 26 Nov 1995 08:44:49 -0600 Walter & Susan Owens said:

>I'm out of town, but I do have a book at home that gives levels of
>salicylate in foods, but I have been asking on the autism list for months
>for a list of phenolic content of foods with no success.  Candace Timpson
>would be the best one to tell you about epsom salts.  You can email her @

Susan,
It's virtually impossible to come up with a list of phenolic foods, because
almost ALL foods have phenols. So do cleaning supplies, freshly cut grass
and about everything else in the world you and your child come into contact
with!

No one can avoid phenols. They are everywhere, literally.  There are some
foods that have many different types of phenols.  Some of the foods that have
the most different types *have* been listed here and elsewhere.

From a book by R.W. Gardner (_Chemical Intolerance_) here are the worst
offenders:

 Apples
 Banana
 Cocoa
 Grapes
 Cow's Milk
 Oranges
 Peas
 Soybean
 Tomatoes

BTW, cow's milk has 11 and human milk only 2.

I'm sure that somewhere there must be a real list, but I've never found it.
There is some coincidence between this list and the salicylate list (e.g.
tomatoes and apples come to mind) but it's not the same list.

I have kept my son off gluten (very strictly) for 2.5 years and with casein
levels at a minimum but not GONE totally (they don't seem to bother him as
does gluten.)  I kept him off tomato products for a while, but saw no change
nor did I see a deterioration when I reintroduced them.

Note: the reactions I speak of are behavioral (he is autistic, not celiac)
rather than gut related.  While he has always had normal bowels etc, he reacts
quickly and *very* badly to gluten ingestion. Lisa Lewis