From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:37:33 -0600

>...I soon developed what my nutritionist has called a geographic
>tongue, with a grand canyon down the middle, front to back, and various
>tributaries running into it.  It is not painful nor problematic in
>any way, just a curiosity, and as it has not always been like that,
>I assume that something somewhere else in the body is causing the
>creases.  Any suggestions?

My handy-dandy Merck Manual gives the following information about
'geographic tongue'.  "Denuded smooth areas, if not painful, may
indicate geographic tongue (benign migratory glossitis), or if
moderately painful, anemia or pellagra."

It goes on to say that:
"Each case of glossitis deserves study since the tongue often
mirrors disease.  History may disclose an irritant, contact
allergen, sensitizing drug, deficient diet, or other symptoms of
disease.  Other mucosal surfaces and the skin should be inspected
for evidence of pellagra, erythema multiforme, syphilis, or
lichen planus.  Studies for an anemia, mild diabetes mellitus,
sprue, and syphilis should be performed."

Apparently, geographic tongue is known to be associated with sprue.
Whether the association is due to direct symptomatology or to a
secondary cause (i.e., dietary deficiencies resulting from
malabsorption), it does not say.

However, it does note that geographic tongue can result from
vitamin B deficiencies as well as iron deficiency anemia.

                                        BJ