Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 18:22:30 -0500

Gayle,

    Gayle> O K, I need help.  I avoid Chinese restaurants because I
    Gayle> have so much trouble with MSG, to say nothing of the gluten
    Gayle> in soy sauce.  What do you all order in a Chinese
    Gayle> restaurant besides rice that you can be sure of?

I eat out Chinese often.  I usually order dishes "steamed with no
sauce, spice or MSG". Then to spice it up I add chili-paste and soy
sauce from the take-out packets.  (The packets of soy sauce generally
have safe ingredient lists whereas the dispensers on the tables
usually have sauces like Kikomann (sp?)  which have substantial
percentages of wheat.)  I know that the sauces in Chinese cooking are
very important to the cuisine; however, my philosophy is better safe
than sorry.  (Prior to going GF 6 months ago I ate out Chinese often
with the sauces....I DO miss them.)  I have also occasionally brought
my own sauces that I know to be safe.

When ordering at restaurants I've not been to previously the server's
reaction is usually confusion -- "are you SURE you don't want the
sauce on the side?".  The restaurants I frequent now me and don't bat
an eyelash.

The other type of eating out I do is simple "meat and potatoes" fair.
Broiled, baked, or steamed meat or fish with baked potatoes, steamed
rice and steamed vegetables or salads.

While I haven't been to any "better" restaurants, I have eaten at
several affairs where I pre-arranged with the chef about my dietary
restrictions.  I have found all to be most accomodating.  Just don't
be afraid to ask.

David Schwartz