From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:17:42 PST

comment from Don Kasarda, Albany, CA, on beer question.

There is no adequate standard analytical method (that I know of) to test for
gluten peptides in beer.

Of possible interest, however, is a box included within an article that was
part of an section about Africa in New Scientist (October 7 issue, I think),
a British publication. Because some of their staffers had indicated that
African beers made from sorghum and millet, which they had encountered
during the visit to Africa to prepare the section, were quite tasty, the
magazine editors sampled some African beers that are available in Britain as
a side comment to the article.  The claim was that these beers are made with
millet or sorghum and without barley malt, but rather fermented with a
bacterial enzyme.  Consequently, if this is true, the beers should be free
of any barley, wheat or rye components.  I doubt that these beers would
taste like a barley-based beer, but they did say that some of the beers
consumed in Africa were quite good--the few brands that could be bought in
Britain were maybe less good.