From:
"Michael W. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 10:10:23 -0500

A poster made an innocent statement about avoiding decaf coffee.  This
statement is already generating some requests for additional information on the
subject.

There is not a current problem for celiacs with decaf coffee in the US.

If my memory is correct the source of this comment goes back many years to the
possibility of a grain being added to decaf in another country.  The bigger
problem for SOME celiacs is that the chemical processing to remove the caffeine
may harm your quality of life.

There are several ways to make decaf coffee and one of our coffee lovers may
desire to explain the pros and cons of the different techniques.

To my knowledge, if you are a decaf drinker and are happy with your lifestyle,
do not worry about celiac damage to your gut.

This is a good time to remind everyone that statements about avoiding a product
should have a reference that can be verified or a statement that you avoid a
product for personal reasons (nebulous ingredients, improvement in life style
without the product, etc.)

Also, when you see a message that you do not understand.  Send a personal reply
to the poster requesting additional information, then based upon the reply,
evaluate if the reply should be posted to the entire List.  This is how I asked
why the decaf statement was made and what was meant by the term "no no".

Regards,

Michael W. Jones ([log in to unmask])
One of the Celiac LISTSERV Owners ([log in to unmask])