From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 09:27:56 -0500

Karoly Horvath said:

>There is an old and excellent publication about "Celiac disease and
>immunological disorders" (Cooper BT, Holmes GKT, Cooke WT. Britsih
>Medical Journal, 1978:1:537-539.)
>Out of 314 patients with CD, 63 had associated disorders of known or
>suspected immunological cause. 52 autoimmune diseases were found in 45
>patients. An important point: most of these diseases developed when the
>patients were on NORMAL DIET.

Wonderful reference!  Thanks!

Is this the most current exploration of this issue? (I remember 1978: that
was the year I married Walter!  Hmm...it has been awhile!)

I wonder, then, if the risk of developing other autoimmune disease would be
interpreted to be consequently much higher than the risk for developing
lymphoma?  Any statistics out there on this issue?

I wonder how these ratios compare to the occurrence of these autoimmune
diseases in the general population.  This old study certainly seems to
confirm what I read in Roitt's book, Essential Immunology, that if you have
one autoimmune disease, you are more likely to develop another.  (I wish he
had been more specific!!)

Susan Owens