From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask] 9706D 1899 11 31_Lactose intolerance & Ice Cream12_Debbie [log in to unmask], 25 Jun 1997 18:35:24 -0400272_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

Does anyone know of a brand of ice cream or frozen yogurt that is both
gluten-free and digestable for someone who is lactose intolerant?

Debbilour15_John [log in to unmask], 13 Mar 1997 18:55:46 -0000590_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

HI!

I have not written to the list very much. I have been diagnosed CD
for 7-1/2 years now. Before being diagnosed I suffered the classic and
many other symptoms. I got down past 90lbs. Before the Gastologist I
was seeing decided to test for CS with a biopsy. The biopsy showed CD.
I changed Dr's and he did a gluten challenge and confirmed the first
diagnosis. I stay strictly on a GF diet. Like many who went years
undiagnosed I am very sensitive to glaidin. [...]43_13Mar199718:55:[log in to unmask] 9703B 2635 19 [log in to unmask], 13 Mar 1997 20:42:06 -0500624_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

A representative from Pamela's called me today. She was very thorough
and very considerate. We went over the problems that I had from
eating the products and that they had just arisen the past few months even
though I had purchased products in the past. She assured me that Pamela's
is very conscientious about their gluten free foods. We discussed that I
had taken the time to dissect my eating habits and that I was not able to
find a sensitivity reaction to any of the ingredients in these products [...]40_13Mar199720:42:[log in to unmask] 9703B 2655 24 20_increase in [log in to unmask], 13 Mar 1997 18:22:40 -0800612_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

Hi all,

I have found lately that the more trouble I take to be GF when eating in
resteraunts the more trouble I have with my diet. Initially a bit of
gluten wouldn't make me that sick, now even a few grains of it (almost
inevitable in resteraunts even after careful explanation to the person who
is ordering your food) make me extremely ill. I imagine this is a
function of the gut healing and absorbing more of the gluten molecules as
you are increasingly faithful to the diet. How [...]41_13Mar199718:22:[log in to unmask] 9703B 2680 43 28_Diet for a long bicycle ride8_Tom [log in to unmask], 13 Mar 1997 22:27:08 -0400404_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

About a month ago I queried everyone for gf suggestion for someone that was
going on a long (weeks) bicycle ride. By the way, my plan - Key West to
Ct. - is still alive. I got many suggestions. Since I will *not* be
camping, any such related suggestions were of no help to me and I ignored. [...]35_13Mar199722:27:[log in to unmask] 9703B 2724 75 26_Options for low carb [log in to unmask], 13 Mar 1997 22:16:46 -0500589_- <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>

<<<Leslie. this is from your last post. What do you eat for brfst and
lunch then?? Mary in MI>>>

Since a few of you have asked...
These days I am tring to go back to the basics. I also was finding that the
bigger the breakfast , the hungrier I was by lunch and I was famished by
late afternoon. Since cutting my diet back to some of the options below- I
find I am able to eat a few small meals during the day and feel satisfied.
Also cutting [...]37_13Mar199722:16:[log in to unmask] 9703B 2800 25 24_Re: GF All Purp
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:50:46 +0000

I have been recently attending diabetes ed classes- conducted by a local
hospital- Certified Diabetes Educator RN & a Registered Dietician. We
covered both of these topics yesterday.

Ilya wrote:  150 gm carbs per day is not really low carb, but it's an
improvement.  I wonder how much you were eating before.  I am low
carbing now and my daily carbs add up to just about 10gm.

Ilya

I am not familiar w/ the numbers for the Adkins low-carb diet regimin.
My book from the class lists "Nutritional Goals & Recommendations for
people with diabetes" (a strict diet!)
Least amount:

1200 calories per day allows 150-180 grams of Carbohydrates per day
(50-60%)
2000 calorie per day diet allows 250-300 grams of carbs per day.

I don't know how a person could possibly maintain a 10gm carbs per day
diet.

My book has a few pages of examples of what a 15 gram of carbohydrate
serving is:

1 cup skim milk
1   6 inch tortilla
1/2 cup corn
1 small potato
1/2 cup pasta
1/3 cup rice (white or brown)
3 cups popped popcorn
2 rice cakes
1 small apple
1/2 small banana
2 tbsp raisins
1 cup lite yogurt
1/2 cup apple juice
12 cherries
1 tbsp fruit spread
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1 cup bean soup

All carbs are turned into sugar in your system- be they quality foods-
such as rice & fruits or junk foods like greasy chips. Obviously the
quality foods will provide valuable nutrients for your system & be heart
healthy.

Gayle Kennedy wrote: Hydrogenated vegetable oil is terrible for you -
increases cholesterol -yet that is a main ingredient in margerine.
So to return to my original point - perhaps cutting out the carbs is a
great idea, and for me, the carbs in rice are non-fattening.  How do the
rest of you react?
<snip>

We were discussing this topic with the Dietician. Her response: They are
both bad for you. The hydrogenated oils=trans-fatty acids which are
artery cloggers as well.

Butter
100 Calories per 1 tbsp
100 calories from fat (100% fat)
30 mg cholesterol
0 carbs

Margarine (country crock)
60 Calories per 1 tbsp
60 calories from fat
0 cholesterol
0 carbs

Her suggestion: Choose the one you will use the least amount of.

Although rice is a wonderful staple it not void of calories or
carbohydrates. If you eat more than you burn up it will cause you to
gain weight. Facing the necessity to watch carbs due to diabetes &
maintain the celiac diet, I am greatly lamenting this nutritional fact.
Also having to accept that it is a nutritional fact.

Fran