From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 16:45:41 -0500

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Lisa wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe to make a basic Chinese food sauce Gf that does
> not use corn or rice flour or starch as a substitute for cornstarch? So
> far potato flour is the only thing I can sub as a thickener and tolerate.

Try using potato starch (which is different than potato flour).  You
would use it in the same way you would use corn starch:  either by mixing
it with a bit of cold water and stirring it into whatever sauce or gravy
you want to thicken or by dredging the pieces of raw meat in it (as you
would with flour  or, as is called for in many Chinese recipes, corn
starch) prior to stir frying.  The starch then thickens whatever liquids
you add to your stir fry for sauce.  Potato starch is available by mail
order from Ener-G (and I am sure other sources) and health food stores
but is also easily found in the supermarket with the Jewish food products
(matzoh, borscht, etc.).  It is considerablly less expensive than
arrowroot.  One word of warning:  don't let the sauce boil once you have
added potato starch or it will become thin.
Jane