From:
"Dr. Cynthia Ladkani 904-795-4641" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 20:55:13 EST

If being overweight and a celiac is what you're looking for, I fit the
criteria.  I lost 60 pounds during the episode that got me diagnosed in
1980, but thanks to strict adherence to the diet I am now delightfully
overweight again.  Being heavy is like "insurance" to me.  I did have a
hard time with the doctors getting diagnosed, but you have to learn a lot
about the disease yourself--and once they mentioned it as a
possibilty--weel-- I would have done anything back then for a relief so I
made myself an expert and the biopsy proved me right.  Thyroid problems
also appear frequently in celiacs and that is probably the reason I stay
heavy.  Incidently, others in my family have tested positively for both
thyroid and celiac sprue since my initial diagnosis. so the weight thing
may be from such a source as hypothyroidism.  There are probably hundreds
of people reading these messages that will tell you that theire
assertiveness is what finally brought a diagnosis and relief.  Good luck.