From:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 19:09:30 -0500

My mother has some sort of "thing" on her arm & her dermatologist is
baffled, I wonder if anyone with DH can relate:

Years ago, she had a mastectomy & the lymph glands were removed.
Subsequently, if she gets a cut on her finger, the arm swells up horribly.

Her upper arm and forearm is covered with red lesions that are getting
bigger and running together.  Like big red, dry blisters.  the oldest of
these is now getting crusty.  Between the giant size of the arm & these
lesions, it is a loathsome sight.
 Her doctor was treating it as a herpes infection.  Now he doesn't
know.... but he is referring her to a surgeon, presumbly to get some sort
of a pressure cuff to get the swelling down.

She also has a patch of scleroderma on one of her legs that her
dermatologist has been treating for years, so he knows her pretty well.

I don't think it's DH, but the fact that she's minus the lymph glands-
would that alter things?  Onset was fairly quick (over the past month) &
it seems to be restricted just to her arm.

Your opinion, please:  Should I call her doctor tomorrow & mention that
there is CD in the family & would he rule out DH as a possibility?  What
do you think?

I thnk you all for any input you can give her.  She's pretty miserable...
but not that miserable that she would listen to me & voluntarily give up
her bread.

Bec