From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 23:05:51 EST

"Kevin J. McMahon" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We found a cereal "Puffs and Honey" by Breadshops that appears
> to be GF, but it has rice syrup.  Is rice syrup GF?

Some rice syrup is made with barley enzymes and some is GF.  You need
to call the company that made the rice syrup for the cereal
manufacturer in order to be sure.  Often the cereal company does not
know.  California Natural Products (CNP) makes many of these rice
syrups, when I checked with them about five months ago, around half of
the rice syrups were GF  and the other half were not.  They were
sympathetic to the plight of Celiacs and are tying to develop more
types of GF rice syrup.  If it turns out that CNP is the mgfr in your
case and you can't find them, email me privately at [log in to unmask]
and I will dig out the name and phone number of my contact for you.

By the way, CNP is the company that makes rice protein for Rice
Dream....the rice milk which does not disclose anywhere on the
ingredient listing that barley enzymes are used to prepare the rice.
It is really not CNP's fault, since they are not the ultimate mfgr
(Imagine Foods is). In previous posts, this was discussed -- CNP is
working with Imagine on a GF version to replace the barley enzyme
version in all products at some undisclosed date in the future.

Bill Elkus