From:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:23:55 -0500

I want to push the concept that I was developing yesterday, on the
relavance of gluten intolerance and how it might impact on the health of
some individuals on the list.

Years ago, I had a very good archeology prof who made the case that
Neandertal man is not extinct.  He said there were some twenty distinct
points of difference between the skeletal anatomy of Cro-magnon man and
Neandertal man...including the brow ridge, an attachment at the base of
the skull,  & I think something about the hips ... his point was, that he
had several of the characteristics.  The point he was trying to make was
that  Cro-magnon man (who developed in the Near East, the same site where
grain was cultivated) moved into Europe (site of Neandertal man, who was
a hunter/gatherer & had a different diet altogether).  Undoubtedly, the
two races intermingled, and the genes of Neandertal are still evident in
parts of Europe.

When I was writing my post yesterday, working from my files & doing a bit
of editing, I trimmed what was non-essential to my argument.  I want to

This article, ENZYME AND SULPHUR OXIDATION DEFICIENCIES IN AUTISTIC
CHILDREN WITH KNOWN FOOD CHEMICAL INTOLERANCES that I cited from AUTISM95
tries to define a class of individuals from a metabolic standpoint.  We
know they are gluten/casein intolerant, have a low level of
phenol-sulphotransferase-P enzyme, and a low capacity to oxidise sulphur
compounds.  (I'm quoting directly from the article here.)  "This enzyme
metabolizes phenols and amines.  Therefore, with a reduced level, these
children will be unable to fully metabolize foods and chemicals which
contain phenols.  (note:  phenol-containing foods include apple and
citrus and chocolate.)

"Many drugs are metabolized on this pathway and these children do have
adverse reactions to various medications. ... Amines are also metabolized
with this enzyme, and a deficiency would cause a build-up of substances
such as serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline..."

So what's my point?  Simply this:  over the last month, we've somewhat
attempted to define our commonality, in our blood groups, our blood
pressure, the "rainbow nails", Don Wiss's post about hypothyroidism being
slightly common in celiacs as a group.

Admittedly, these instances of commonality might be statistically skewed,
because only a small portion of members responded, so the sampling is not
really accurate.  But IF we had these metabolic aspects truly in common,
and you would accept that they come about as a result of our genetic
programming, and that programming is "somewhat" common (say, that magical
1 in 300), doesn't that identify us as a sub-species of the caucasian race?

And if we are a separate, distinct species, with our own quirky
metabolism, gluten intolerance isn't a disease, or a pathological
abberation, it's our racial identity!

I think it's important to note that some drugs/medications are metabolized
differently in our bodies, because I think it is important for us to get
proper consideration when we need medical attention.  We need effective,
appropriate treatment that addresses our differences.

So think about it, debate it, I would be interested in your feedback.

I will have to be off this list for about the next six weeks (family
emergency), so I guess it's appropriate to start to say good-bye!

You all take care, I'll be here till Friday!

Bec

Oh, here's another aspect I wanted to check out:  Do you tan or burn upon
expossure to sunlight?  My family is fair skinned & we don't
tan...ultimately, I suspect that's an interplay of the skin and the
liver, and may define a liver type.