From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 14:33:27 -0400

>Does anyone have a copy of a dining card they use to give to a waiter or
>chef when dining out? Just looking for the text so I can create one myself.

To Chris, and anyone else who does not have access to the Restricted Diet
Information card put out by Celiac Sprue Association/ United States of
America, Inc.

Their address is on the card:.
CSA/USA, P.O. Box 31700, Omaha, NE 68131-0700
Ph: 402-558-0600

Inside it says "Celiac Sprue (Gluten-Sensitivity Enteropathy) is a
malabsorption syndrome, not an allergy, in which the absorptive surface of
the jejunum of the small intestine is damaged by gliadin, a fraction of the
protein, gluten.  Strict adherence to the gluten-free diet is required for
life, as even small amounts of gluten can cause damage.  Protein from these
grains -- wheat, barley, rye, and oats, in any form (as ingredients,
additives, excipients, etc.) -- MUST NOT be consumed  by persons with
non-tropical sprue.  Most celiacs also are found to react to millet,
buckwheat, triticale, quinoa, amaranth, and spelt.  Care during food
prepration is extremely important.  Your advice and assistance in makin
safe food choices is appreciated.

Then follows three columns, one headed Safe, one headed Unsafe, and one
headed To Be Questioned.

Safe has the following:  Flours and starches made from Rice, corn, potato,
tapioca, arrowroot.  Beans, peas, and nuts. Non-Processed/non-flavored
meats, poultry, fish, eggs, fruits, and vegetables.  White wine or apple
cider vinegar.  Dairy Products (without gluten containing additives,
flavorings, or dyes.

The Unsafe list is: Grains, flours, starches, and additives from wheat,
barley, rye, oats. Breads, Rolls, Cakes, cookies, cereals, pie/pizza
crusts, croutons, crackers, bread crumbs, noodles, pasta, pastry.  Soups,
sauces, and gravies thickened with these flours.  Grain alcohols.  Grain
vinegars.

The To Be Questioned list is:  Processed meats, sauces, bouillion, selected
condiments, vinegar, salad dressing, baking powder, processed sour cream,
ice cream, processed cheeses, modified food starch, hydrolized or textured
plant or vegetable proteins (HPP, TVP, HVP) Malt, Flavorings, Colorings,
Emulsifiers, Stabilizers, sweeteners, preservatives, and certain oils.

Then it says, "As with the general ppuatin, crtain individuals may also
have saensitivities to lactose, monosodium glutemate (MSG), soy beans or
other substances unique to the individual.  Please contact CSA/USA Inc. for
additional information.

The back of the folded card has a statement about the association.

>From my point of view there are some inaccuracies and confusing statements
(the inclusion of quinoa and buckwheat, the introduction of the term
"non-tropical aprue", etc. that could be improved, but here is the card -
you can ammend and change as suits your needs.

Good luck.  It is a rather daunting experience for most well intentioned
and cocerned chefs when they first cofront one of these cards.

Best of luck

Gayle Kennedy