Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 23:20:55 PST
From:
Greg Boyd <[log in to unmask]>

I am wondering when a biopsy should be pursued in an individual with normal
antibody levels.

I have a 12-year-old daughter whose biopsy confirmed Celiac Disease one year
ago.  All 4 antibodies on the celiac panel were high, though she had atypical
symptoms -- no diarrhea, but frequent nausea, vomiting, headaches, and lack of
growth and energy.

I also have a 10-year-old daughter.  She exhibits typical symptoms -- periodic
bouts of daily diarrhea and abdominal pain, lasting several weeks at a stretch
-- but her antibody levels tested normal on 2 separate occasions.  (She was
also tested for the other usual possibilities.)  Her pediatrician plans to
treat her for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but I'm wondering if a biopsy would
be advisable.  Does anyone have experience or advice in a case like this?

Thank you!
Diane Boyd