From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 07:03:13 -0500

Jon <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>> >2.   I am still hopeful that one day I may be able to tolerate lactose.
>> >Does this ever happen after a year plus on a gluten-free diet?
>>
>> It took me two years of a strict diet. I know others that it also took two
>> years. I find people that never overcome it, then I ask then what they eat.
>> The say they are GF, but on further asking I find them consuming things like
>> Rice Dream, spaghetti sauce that has tomato paste as an ingredient...
>
>What is wrong with Rice Dream and Tomato paste?  I thought they were
>deemed fine for Celiac.

Rice Dream has been discussed a lot here in the past. They use barley
enzymes to break down the rice starch to sugar. Bill Elkus has documented
many discussions with the food manufacturer. They can be retrieved by
sending GET CELIAC MILKALT in a message body to [log in to unmask]

Most tomato paste has HVP (Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein) hidden in an
ingredient called "natural flavors" or "flavorings". The HVP is frequently
made from a gluten grain. This is completely legal. They do this as then
they can use cheaper less flavorful tomatoes. Tomato paste without this
listed is available, sometimes from the same manufacturer as ones that have
it, e.g. Contadina.

There is another law that says manufacturers don't have to list ingredients
of ingredients. Therefore when you see tomato paste listed as an ingredient
on something like spaghetti sauce, it most likely will also contain HVP as a
subingredient.

Don Wiss.