Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 07:50:00 EST

After almost a year of gf diet for our son Alex (now 2 1/2 years old), we are
finally finding out what he has been reacting to in our homemade gf breads.
First, we quit buying rice flour at the local bulk store (it was on the shelf
right next to the high gluten flour).  Second, we removed egg yolks, and third,
we found that xanthan gum causes an almost burning reaction to our son's
diapered behind.  We still feel dumb that it took us this long, but when
changing one ingredient didn't work, we would put him back on store bought rice
bread (Cybros) to give us all some relief.

Alex doesn't have any problem with corn products or egg whites.  Others on the
list have said they react to xanthan gum.  We need help understanding why this
happens and how careful we need to be.

        1)  Does your reaction to xanthan gum effect you the way gluten would?
What I'm wondering is, could it have caused villi damage that would have slowed
the healing process?

        2) Have you ever had a reaction to guar gum or methylcellulose?  We will
probably try guar gum next (because of lower cost), but I have heard so much
about its "laxative effect" that I am leery.  Any suggestions?

        3) Can methylcellulose be substituted easily for xanthan gum?

        4) Should we completely eliminate xanthan gum or is a little once in a
while alright?  Alex doesn't get diarrhea until he has eaten bread containing
xanthan gum consistently for 4-6 days.

        5) We still don't know why egg yolk bothers Alex.  One GI doctor
insisted it was an allergy, but the test came back negative.  He does best when
his diet is very low in fat.  Any ideas?

Tim & Kay Meadows
Warsaw, Indiana