From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 14:09:16 -0500

Someone recently asked me about "tomato juice concentrate" as an ingredient
in tomato juice, as they had a reaction from a brand called Flavorite.

As we have discussed in the past, manufacturers legally do not need to list
ingredients of ingredients. And by using HVP manufacturers can use cheaper,
and less flavorful, tomatoes in the product.

Not willing to experiment on myself I called the NOMSG group (800-BEATMSG)
and asked if their members had reported any problems. They told me that they
had reports that some brands were giving members reactions, and some were
not. Note that their reactions are to HVP, and they would also be getting
reactions from HVP made from soy.

So I called Campbells (800-257-8443) and was told that their tomato juice
concentrate was only tomatoes. This doesn't surprise me as this is a premium
brand.

Caveat emptor,

Don Wiss.