From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 13:22:23 -0500

At 10:58 PM 11/29/95 -0500, Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>                                                            Perhaps one of
>the first issues the new Celiac Coalition should tackle is the business of
>hospital dietitians who know nothing about feeding celiacs.  Being in the
>hospital is stressful at best.  If near starvation, or food worse than the
>airlines attempt at gluten free diet, is doled out by hospitals, how are we
>to get well?  How do we get going on this as a group?

Well, someone could organize a direct mail campaign. It would require
finding a mailing list, designing the mailing pieces, finding a printer and
mailing house, creating a budget, and raising funds. One would also need to
find an educational not-for-profit to run it through (or is the coalition
seeking this status?).

To help that someone get started, I pulled out a catalog of lists available.
These were the ones of most interest to us:

 Hospitals          11,935 names (also available broken down by bed count)
 Gastroenterology   10,277
 Dermatology         9,156
 Pediatrics         28,751
 Nutritionists       2,264
 Dieticians            936 (in private practice)

My call to 800-431-2914 reached Phil Raskin at Compilersplus. He says for a
list like Gastroenterology it would be around $70/thousand or $700.

Don.