From:
"Michael W. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 23:20:35 -0400

This is a followup to the previous posting on Gluten-Free labeling and the FDA
in which a subscriber referenced a speech by an FDA representative

>Therefore, there is no plan to require companies to include GLUTEN-FREE in
>the future. She suggested  we contact our congressmen and get started
>lobbying in this area. I recommended that a committee SERIOUSLY get to work
>on this issue in CSA. I hope something constructive comes of this. As it is,
>even the new label laws are not a bog help to us!

Anyone interested in following this concept is directed to the Federal Register
of January 6, 1993.  The FDA published the final rule on the Nutritional
Labeling Education Act in which the labels were changed to promote better
health in American through moderation in the use of fats, salts, etc.  The
document usefulness is an understanding of the current law and the text of the
FDA's replies to comments during the proposal period.

This knowledge may allow celiacs to advance from our defeats on a definition of
GF, the use of food starch as an ingredients without a statement of the source
grain, processings aids, etc.

Regards,

Michael Jones, [log in to unmask]
Living a wonderful, GF life in Orlando, FL USA