From:
Paul & Tonya Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 1996 18:08:17 -0400

Hi,
Thanks for your post.  It sounds VERY familiar.  I have had a negative
biopsy, negative serum test, but I feel wonderful on a gluten free,
lactose free diet!!  My gastro doc said that I may have patchy areas of
damaged villi in my small intestine or maybe I'm in the beginning stages
of the disease. At the time of the testing I had been gluten free for
three weeks.  My Dr. said that the villi couldn't repair themselves that
quickly but since then I've read that they can repair quickly.  He
recommended that I stay gluten free and occaisionally try introducing
gluten.  I've been gluten free for three months and I feel absolutely
wonderful.  I've struggle with irritable bowel syndrome (or so they
thought) for the last four years.  It's nice to finally feel good.

Since my testing (april) I have found out that I have a great uncle with
Celiac disease (paternal) and an aunt (paternal) that had the same
symptoms that I had.  She never was diagnosed and died of intestinal
cancer when she was in her fourties (Yikes). I know it's difficult not
having a definite diagnosis.  I have lots of concerns about this
especially when I need to get my two children the serum tests.  I'm
wondering if the insurance companies will pay for the tests when I
technically don't have a diagnosis. I joke with my husband , who is very
glad to have me feeling better, that I'm a "Celiac Wanna Be."  Of course
this  is a silly statement because who wants to have this problem!!  I
guess humor can be helpful at times!  Hang in there.  Let me know how
it's going from time to time.

Tonya Davis
Washington State