From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 19:48:05 -0400

Linda's No Rice, No Corn bread

Finally! A bread even my fussy wheat eater likes! This tastes fine fresh
(not eggy), toasts well, and holds up to a sandwich without crumbling. The
bean flour (from Authentic Foods: 800-806-4737 or email
[log in to unmask]) adds some welcome fiber. If you add an extra 1/4 cup
of water, you get a very bubbly consistency that works well as crumpets or
Schlotsky's style burger buns.

DRY INGREDIENTS: Combine well

1 scant cup almonds, ground in a blender (4 oz)
1 cup bean flour (3-1/2 oz)
1 cup potato starch flour (6-1/2 oz)
1 cup tapioca flour (4-1/2 oz)
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup buttermilk powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid (optional)

WET INGREDIENTS:
1 beaten egg
2 beaten egg whites
1-1/4 cup water with
2 teaspoon vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 scant cup sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons yeast

The summary:
  (1) grind the almonds to cracker crumb consistency
  (2) combine all the dry ingredients in a mixer and let it blend while you
put together the wet ingredients.
  (3a) if using a bread machine, load ingredients in the recommended order
and bake on your preferred cycle. Don't forget the yeast!
  (3b) if making by hand, combine wet and dry ingredients, adding the wet a
little at a time, and lastly add the yeast; put straight into your
preferred (greased) loaf pan and allow to rise until just doubled in size.
Bake at 325 degrees until crust is light brown. Cool thoroughly.

The detailed version:
  (1) You can use either blanched (peeled) almonds or unpeeled, unsalted
almonds. The unpeeled almonds will give more of the look of whole wheat
bread (the peels add color). If you have a =very= sturdy blender, drop the
almonds in and plug your ears and let 'er rip until you have almonds ground
to a consistency approximating cracker crumbs (about as fine as your
blender will make them; you can tell when you reach this stage because the
pitch changes throughout and then steadies when it's done its best). ((Do
not use a food grinder or grain mill, or you'll get almond paste!))

   Next combine all the dry ingredients in your mixer and let it blend on
low speed to make sure the xanthan gum is evenly distributed.

  (2) Nothing new to add here... just combine the wet ingredients.

  (3a) The times I have programmed into my Zojirushi bread machine are as
follows:
     Warm up: automatic
     Knead One: 0
     Rest: 0
     Knead Two: 20 (maximum time is okay)
     Rise 1: 0
     Rise 2: 135
     Bake: 40
     Cool: Maximum
  A long rise time is necessary this way, but you get better yeast flavor
from it. If your bread machine will not give you such a long rise, add an
extra 1/2 teaspoon of yeast at the start.

   (3b) When combining ingredients, once the yeast is in, mix gently but
well until the consistency is smooth, or almost smooth. Everything should
be well combined. Put the bread in a greased pan or in greased forms for
making burger buns, and cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm place
(inside an oven that has a pilot light is a good place). When it's about
doubled in size, preheat the oven to 325 degrees, and then bake until the
crust is the color you like.

   This recipe, like all my recipes, is copyright 1996-1997 by
   Linda Blanchard.  I grant anyone anywhere the right to distribute
   this recipe on a one-to-one basis, or in a not-for-profit
   newsletter.  Any other use without my consent is prohibited.

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX USA