From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 10:20:26 -0500

>What do people out there in sprue-land think of wild rice? Supposedly it is
>not related to other rices.

question even after our authority on grain chemistry, Don Kasarda, has
given us the benefit of his knowledge and research and stated that wild
rice is a rice and therefore safe for celiacs to eat.

I lived in Minnesota for 30 years - where wild rice is a major crop:
especially that which is harvested in canoes by Native Americans who  beat
the grain off the stalks with a stick so that the rice falls in the bottom
of the canoes. The sticks are sacred and passed on from generation to
generation. For the most part only the men are allowed to harvest the wild
rice.  The rice is then roasted outside in a huge iron kettle over an open
fire.  I don't know what was used before Father Hennepin appeared with the
first iron kettle.

Anyway, local scientific belief in Minnesota is that wild rice is not a
true rice, but rather it is the seed of an aquatic grass.  By my
unscientific reasoning, that makes it closer to wheat than rice on the
philo-genetic tree.  There are times when various rare rices like Wehini
and brown rice  are confused with Native American wild rice, but there is a
vast difference.  Rice, when I cook it, seems to be a single unit seed, but
wild rice, when properly cooked, splits open and shows that it is
definitely a double sided seed that splits and curls back when thoroughly
cooked.

I am one of those on the celiac list who cannot tolerate wild rice and the
above has always been assumed to be the reason why it causes celiac
symptoms for me.

On the other hand, in the February  1988  issue of Baking Industry
magazine, there is a long articla about amaranth, which was quite new on
the market at that time.  It says that much of the research that culminated
in amaranth's coming on the market was done at the Rodale Research Center
in Pennsylvania. {It is my assumption that Rodale is a commercial amaranth
growing outfit, but I don't know for sure.}  "According to the director of
the Rodale Food Consultants, Linda Gilbert, amaranth was brought to
Rodale's attention about 15 years ago by the national Academy of Sciences
through their report on under-utilized crops.  Rodale undertook an
extensive research project to bring amaranth back into growth, harvest and
processing for the U>S> food market.  In 1987, amaranth was grown in about
1200 acres covering western Nebraska, eastern Wyoming, and parts of
Kansas."  Now, I happen to live on a one acre plot, and it doesn't take
higher math to know that 1200 acres does not cover much of those three
states.....Be that as it may, a little hyperbole is part of marketing,
right?

Anyway, it says "amaranth is a NONGRASS plant that grows in many forms, but
can be described as a broad leafed plant.  According to the article it was
extensively used by the Aztecs....  High in protein (13-18%) and calcium,
and its amino acid composition is well balanced.  The lysine content is
higher than that of common grains.  It is low in leucine....  When amaranth
flour and another flour such as corn are combined, the result is a
nutritional value comparable to that of the egg...  It is also
comparatively high in vitamin C, iron, calcium, and phosphorous....  It
also contains more dietary fiber than many other grains....In particular,
it is used to make bakery foods for people who are allergic to wheat...
Typical usage, though, is 10-35% flour replacement."

"Popped amaranth is a kernel measuring 1/16th inch in diameter.  (It can be
popped in a frying pan over medium heat.  Watch carefully!) It has a unique
toasted flavor and crunchy texture that adds character to breads, cookies,
and snacks.  It adds eye appeal when used as a garnish for breads,
crackers, or breadsticks."

A publication called Food in Canada (date unknown as I only have a
photocopy of one page) says amaranth was cultivated extensively for 8000
years.  "As part of the Spanish plans to subdue the Aztec population,
Cortez and his like outlawed the cultivation of amaranth.  Anyone caught
with or suspected of trafficking in the grain was put to death.
Consequently, the hardy and highly nutritious grain that had sustained
civilizations for millennia was nearly eradicated along with the Aztec
Empire...found its way to Asia and India, where it remains in cultivation
to this date."  "Like buckwheat [!], amaranth is a pseudo cereal
grain....it is a cousin of the Pigweed."  It mentions the American Amaranth
Co, Inc., P>O> Bos 196, Bricelyn, MN 56014.  So if  you want to know more,
that might be the place to start.

This is a long and pedantic way to start the New Year, but every once in a
while a question comes up about wild rice and/or amaranth, and I've been
intending to pass along the information I've stored in a bottom drawer for
at least 7 years.
At last, I've taken the time - mine and now yours.

Quinoa, by the way, is another broad leaf plant that bears no resemblance
to wheat.  It is Andean in history  and I find it a blessing and a relief
from a diet of rice and more rice, as I have trouble tolerating potatoes,
too.( But that's another story.)  There is a Quinoa Corporation, PO>O Box
7114, Boulder, CO, 80306, phone 303-444-9466.  I feel sure they will report
that quinoa is gliadin (gluten) free.

Maybe we all need a vacation in the mountains of Equador and Peru where
quinoa (and guinea pig) are basic to the diet.

Best wishes for a healthy New Year.

Gayle Kennedy