From:
Paula McMahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:31:56 -0500

I have been lurking for awhile, but the current thread on underdiagnoses
has caused me to ask some questions on symptoms leading to diagnoses. I
have classic symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome yet I am not willing to
allow my GP the ease of giving me this diagnoses with nothing other than a
history of my synptoms. After doing a web search on IBS and another on Gall
Bladder ( my symptoms worsened after its removal) I found a common
reference to Celiac Desease. Armed with the information from this list, I
asked my GP about the possibility of my having CD. He since I don't suffer
from anemia and am over rather than underweight I couldn't possibly have
CD. Well since I believe that medical diagnosis is an art with a lot of
science thrown in I convinced him to give me a referal to a
gastroenterologist. The bottom line of this whole epic story is what is the
variation of symptoms that have been experienced by diagnosed celiacs in
this group? In consideration of the high volume on this list and the
controversy currently surrounding the amount, please send answers directly
to me at [log in to unmask]

thank-you
Paula McMahon