From:
"Victor J. Samuel Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 23:16:39 -0600

        As I said earlier, I will share Beth Hillson's recipe for pretzels
using her French Bread/Pizza Mix. I purchased the 5 Lb. bag for $16.95 plus
shipping ($4.75 if just ordering this one item, but I'd order lots of stuff,
as they are delicious). You could probably use  the 1 lb. mixes for bagels
or Country French Bread if you wanted a smaller amount. The recipe book
available for $1 includes Bagels, Pretzels, Quick Buttermilk Bisquits,
French Bread rolls, Bread sticks,"Whole wheat bread-can use bread machine,
Pizza and egg free pizza crust, coctail cheese puffs,Brioche/Challah Bread,
Hamburger/hot dog Rolls,Cranberry Sticky Buns, Sugar-free Applesauce Raisin
Muffins,Dilly Casserole Bread, Spinach :Brownies"-AKA Crustless Quiche,
Apricot Lemon Scones, Chocolate Pudding Cake, Pie Crust, Cherry and Apple
pie filling, Orange Cake,Kitchen Magic Cake---All using the mix!

        PRETZELS
3 cups French Bread Mix                         2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp gluten-free yeast                        2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt                                      1 lightly beaten egg
1 cup + 1 Tbsp water                            1 beaten egg for glazing
1 tsp cider vinegar or 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid

        Combine mix, yeast, and salt. Heat water to lukewarm (110 degrees).
Add vinegar, honey, oil, and egg. (Beat well to prevent egg from cooking).
Add to dry ingredients and beat on low speed to combine. Mixture will be
thick. Knead dough by hand or with dough hooks for 2 minutes, or until
smooth.
        Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/2 Tbsp cornmeal.
Divide dough into 9-12 equal pieces. Knead each piece and form into pretzel
twists or sticks. Set on cookie sheet and cover with oiled plastic wrap.
Repeat until all pieces have been shaped. Let rise, 30-40 minutes in warm,
draft-free space.
        Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush pretzels with beaten egg.
Sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 425 degrees until lightly browned
(about 15 minutes). Remove, cool, and enjoy!

        If anyone tries them, let us know how they turn out. This mix is
from : The Gluten-Free Pantry
        P.O. Box 881
        Glastonbury, CT 06033
        Phone: 203-633-3826
        Fax: 203-633-6853
They are also well known for the Chocolate Truffle Brownie Mix, and I swear
by the Favorite White Bread Mix- excellent in the bread machine. The prices
are not inexpensive, but part of the cost goes to Celiac Research and the
quality is excellent. When you order, they will send you a catalogue, or
you can call and request it before you order. They add things constantly.
I am in no way associated with them, but am VERY pleased with everything
from them! They have muffins and biscotti mixes, and on and on. Give them
a try if you haven't already! Happy baking.    Lynn Samuel