From:
Leanne Wenzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 15:28:12 MDT

Annmaureen Surra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Looking at my history, it might seem I should try smoking again! Does
>anyone have any statistics on whether the stress of quitting smoking has
>contributed to Celiac conditions? Could smoking have helped to regulate
>my metabolism? Does nicotine depress celiac symptoms? Just curious! AMS

From what I know it is very common for symptoms of Celiac disease to
manifest themselves in the forties and fifties. It is most likely a
coincidence that you began to show symptoms of Celiac disease at the same
time you quit smoking.

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with Celiac disease 2 years ago. I had
biopsies taken for an unrelated condition and it turned out that I had
Celiac disease. I have never had symptoms of this condition. I could eat a
loaf of bread and feel great. My gastroenterologist told me this is not
unusual. However, if I had continued to ingest gluten I would have began
having symptoms in my forties or fifties. From what I have learned this is
not unusual. I have been on a gluten free diet since I was diagnosed and I
now have completely normal small bowel biopsies.

If you have quit smoking the healthiest choice for you would be to remain
smoke free and gluten free.

Leanne