From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 17:14:05 -0400

I've been reading the list since last January and have recently learned
that yet another person who has been diagnosed as celiac once was given the
medication FLAGYL in order to treat amoebic dysentery ( while living or
traveling extensively in India.)

I was given FLAGYL by a well meaning doctor in Mexico when we were living
there in 1969-70.  The necessity for this powerful medicine was amoebic
dysentery. Shortly after that my problems with what was eventually
diagnosed as celiac disease began to be the dominating factor of my life.

There is another member of our little celiac group in Ithaca, NY, who tells
the same story about his foreign travels, dysentery and FLAGYL - all
leading eventually to CELIAC disease.

I wonder if there are others on the list who have the same histories.
Perhaps there is something about FLAGYL that the USDA didn't catch when
they were doing their research.

It would only  take a minute for any reader who has taken FLAGYL or
streptomycine in order to combat an extensive intestinal infection picked
up in foreign travel and has subsequently been diagnosed as CELIAC  to send
a note to that effect to the whole list, or just to me and I'll make a
count and report back.  If FLAGYL is exacerbating or just plain causing
celiac disease, let's make sure it doen't keep happening.

Gayle Kennedy  [log in to unmask]