Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:26:52 -0600
From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>

        When the readers of this listserv group recently
expressed an interest in the question of whether or not
celiac disease/gluten intolerance seems to strike one blood
type more than the others, I offered to collect and analyze
the data in order to determine how our blood types compared
to the known percentages in the normal population.  I asked
that anyone with celiac disease or gluten intolerance
drop me an email message telling me their blood type.  I
received 113 responses and have just finished the analyses.

        Based on the statistical procedure I used (Chi Square
analysis), there appears to be a very slightly increased
proportion of gluten intolerant persons with B negative blood
type.  [Chi Square (7,N=113)=19.68, p<.01].

        I want to caution you, however, that this was a
totally uncontrolled survey.  No distinction was made
between those with confirmed celiac disease and those
with self-diagnosed gluten intolerance, no checks were
made on reported blood type, and the numbers of cases
reported in some of the rarer blood groups (B+, AB+, AB-)
was less than 5.  There were 6 reported cases of B- blood
type.

        If anyone would like a copy of the original data
along with my Chi Square analyses, contact me by email.

                                BJ