From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 17:12:50 -0400

On Oct 02, 1995 11:26:33, 'Lynn Worden <[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>My grandmother almost certainly had gluten intolerance.  I remember her
>telling me that when she was young people called her scatterbrained, and
>now that she was old they call her senile,

Well, perhaps this should be by e-mail, but there's another explanation for
lack of short term memory with a separate twist for each of the previous
posters and one for the whole list.

For the list: lots of adult onset celiacs these days and memory does worsen
with age for all of us. It's also hard  to firmly establish "associations"
of CD with even firmly diagnosed conditions such as Type I diabetes. The
only established connection with a mental condition that I know of is
epilesy and only then due to calcium deposits in the brain. In short a
firmly diagnosable condition caused by the form of malnutrition these
people had pre-CD dx. Perhaps one of the professionals may wish to add
something.

So no need to worry about this. Now if I could just remember which pocket I
put my car keys in. <s>

Another cause of such forgetfullness is low blood sugar. Any correlation
with meals, either right before or 2 or more hours later suggests
hyperinsulinemia, overproduction of insulin in response to food. It's the
early phase of one form of "adult onset" Type II diabetes. Treatment at
this stage is dietary and will raise those low blood sugars and restore
mental sharpness.

I'll e-mail a bit more  to the previous posters. Oh, hydergine, among other
things, does enhance glucose transport to brain cells from the blood. Very
little work done on this side of it, like all mental drugs not to tried
without a doctor's advice.

                        Kemp Randolph
                        Long Island