From:
"Andrew E. Stevenson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 12:15:52 EST

Hi, everyone. I'm asking for inout on the following ideas:

My professional background is in communications, publicity, writing, etc. I've
been working on the best angle to approach the whole issue of celiac disease.
There are some huge problems as far as making it seem exciting, newsworthy,
relevant, etc. to the folks who make decisions about what stories to focus on in
the media. We need to show them why they should care about CD, why their
readers/viewers should care, and why it will compel people to buy their paper or
watch their show.

I have been brainstorming all sorts of possible approaches. But after discussing
the whole thing with a friend and former boss, who publishes several magazines
in Michigan, I am focusing on these two approaches:

* People are usually drawn to stories involving children who become mysteriously
ill and then make a miraculous recovery. So profiling a few such kids, and then
adding a sidebar about the incidence in adults, is one way to go. This also
helps in discussing some of the symptoms, which are kind of gross but less so
when you think about children and babies than when you think about adult bowel
habits.

* Usuing the general umbrella of autoimmunity makes the issue much more relevant
to most people. While not many folks have heard of CD, they've certainly heard
of some of the more common autoimmune disorders (arthritis, lupus, etc.). By
tying them all together, and then focusing on a couple through individual
profiles, we stand a much better chance of engaging the public interest.

I am continuing to sort through all this and work on an organized campaign. My
hope is to have things in place for the Celiac Awareness Month activities in the
fall. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I would be pleased to work with the
task force on publicity through the national coalition. While I don't have very
much free time, I'm eager to do whatever I can to get the word out. --Trisha

P.s. Don't be offended if it takes me a while to respond to messages--my
computer time is often limited.