From:
Douglas W Sidle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 17:14:42 EST

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had my experience  -
particularly anyone who is an immigrant to the US.  Story as
follows:

I've lived nearly all my life in England.  Always on the slim side,
in spite of eating anything and everything.  Occasional indigestion, but
nothing serious.  I came to the US for 7-months in 1987 and within a short time
was ill with diarrhea and weight loss.

Tried Flagyl, suspected some kind of bug and went back home after a wonderful
trip, but worried about possible bowel cancer!

Within a couple of days of being home, I improved, stomach settled
and I gained back the weight I'd lost.  Tests proved fine and I forgot about
it.  Stayed in England until 1992, spent time in Asia, then came to the US as
an immigrant.  The day I arrived I got diarrhea and presto, the same problems.
18 months and 30 lbs lighter, I was finally diagnosed as GI, went on a g-free
diet and felt great.

(Stay with me, this is nearly over).  A few months ago I went to England for a
holiday.  Stuck to my diet for the first week, the second week I tried a slice
of toast - NO PROBLEMS!  Then I tried a cookie, more toast, even a pint of real
ale - NO PROBLEMS.  Came back to the US, had a slice of toast and got ill!!
However, I've come to the conclusion that the problem could be the US flour as
it is usually enriched, whereas at home the flour is plainer.  Although I still
have to steer clear of all flour based foods, I find I can manage a beer with
no problem.  Has anyone else found that they have been worse over here, than in
Europe or Asia.  Has anyone found they can tolerate some things with minute
amount of gluten, as long as it's not bread, pies, cookies etc.

Thanks for any information anyone can come up with.

Maggie