From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 18:01:46 EDT

Bob Porta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

B> cheerios are mostly wheat!!!

I take exception to this statement, because there was no reference or
supporting information as to how this conclusion was reached.

Today I stopped in a store (in the USA) and read the ingredient list on
a box of Cheerios.  The first three ingredients were:

   oats
   modified food starch
   wheat starch

Now, the only way this statement could be true is if you researched the
source of the modified food starch and found it to be wheat, AND if you
found out the second and third ingredients together comprised more than
50% of the product.  Since they are listed in decreasing order, the
modified food starch and wheat starch together could not be more than
65% of the product, and it is much more likely that they represent less
than 50%.  Even at 65%, one could argue the adverb "mostly" is an
overstatement.

Having said all that, I do agree that Cheerios are not appropriate for
celiacs even if you discount the oats, because the source of the
modified starch is not listed and because of the wheat starch.

--
-- Jim Lyles
-- Holly, Michigan, USA