From:
scott adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 19:25:08 -0700

Hello everyone,

I hope I diidn't cause any panic with my milk posting yesterday. I got the
following from a concerned member, and I'd like to respond to their concern.

>I think that this kind of post is way out of line for this group.  You
>make a general claim with no documentation to back up what you say.  Doing
>this will cause nothing but panic and paranoia, especially among members
>who are new to the disease.

>I have been a Celiac since 1992 and have never, in all of my readings,
>found anything claiming that there might be gluten in milk.  My "On the
>Celiac Condition" from the CSA/USA, 1990 printing, talks about the
>possible lactose tolerance effects from Celiac disease, but does not list
>milk or milk vitamin sources in its "to be questioned for gluten"
>category.  Likewise, looking through the FAQ for this group, I find
>nothing mentioning possible gluten contamination from the vitamin sources
>used in milk.

The chances are that there isn't gluten in the vitamins the put in milk, but
I don't think it is "out of line" to discuss the issue. Just because you
looked through the FAQ and no one has ever brought the issue up, doesn't
mean that the vitamins which are supplemented in milk could not contain
gluten. I'm not trying to cause a "milk scare." I posted that because I've
heard so many people complain of problems similar to gluten-reactions after
drinking milk, and many of them were over the gluten-damage healing process,
that it made me wonder whether or not the vitamins the manufacturers are
putting in milk could contain gluten. I called Berkely Farms, a milk
manufacturer in CA, and they weren't able to confirm that their vitamins do
not contain gluten. Now, that doesn't mean they do contain gluten. It does
however, in my opinion, warrant further discussion.

Perhaps those who are concerned should call thier local dairy and find out,
and then post the information. That, I think would be the best way to settle
the issue.

Scott Adams - SF, USA
Celiac Webpage:
http://www.hooked.net/users/sadams/