From:
Karen M Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 10:46:20 +0000

Celeste M. Sutter asks:

> Could someone please tell me if they see any problems with the following
> diet.  My 21 month daughter has CS-- put her on GF diet- started to get
> better, but now is back to pre-GF diet symptoms.   She gets combinations of
> the following:  rice, vegetables (frozen and canned), fruits (fresh and
> canned), meat-beef, pork, chicken and tuna, lentils, juice-apple and white
> grape, peanut butter-natural, cream of rice cereal and corn pasta.

Too much juice can cause problems with *any* kid, even non-celiacs,
especially apple juice (the sorbitol in it is tough on the gut).

> She takes liquid Cimetidine for an ulcer and I started giving her liquid
> Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins.  The questionable foods that I checked:  tuna--Kroger
> brand solid white w/ veg. broth, Kroger said contained "just vegetables";
> meat--checked to see if had any preservatives added--the butcher at Kroger
> assured me there wasn't; vitamins--Bristol Meyers said the caramel coloring
> was from burnt sugar.

Um, is there Vitamin E in the vitamins? If so, is it from wheat germ
oil?

> The only "new additions" to her diet in the past week or so were beef,
> pork, vitamins and apple/grape juice.  It is just so frustrating not being
> able to pinpoint the problem so I can eliminate it.  There is some
> possibility of crumb contamination, but would crumbs cause such severe
> symptoms?--major irritibility, steatorrhea, etc. for a week?

Ayup. You may have found the culprit. When you figure that some of
the adults have problems with as little as 1 teaspoon of regular
soy sauce (2T in a dish for 6)... it's easy to see where kids would
react to crumb contamination. And it will continue until you fix the
contamination problem! Also, meat can be tough on the tummy - if she
refuses it, don't push.

> I would also
> note, she seems to crave rice--she wants it at every meal and snacks
> inbetween!  Her doctor, at her last visit, was concerned about her weight
> and wanted her on vitamins, more meat protein and a more varied diet.  Any
> suggestions??

If she's craving rice, she wants starch, and she's *hungry*! How
about rice pudding? Use an allowable milk (cow, goat, soy), toss in
some chopped up dried fruit, a splash of *real* maple syrup, cooked
rice, and toss in the microwave until the liquid is absorbed. Let
cool.

Peanut butter on (plain) rice cakes. Lundberg Farms makes a hefty GF
rice cake that will stand up to PB very well.

Make rice casseroles with various stuff mixed into brown rice. I have
a rice kugel (baked pudding) that is fairly well accepted by adults
and kids. I'll try to post it later.

Good luck!

Karen
Karen M. Davis, Davis & Associates                             818-892-8555
this .signature under construction (the quote I want is buried on my desk!)