From:
Richard Abrams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 10:32:17 -0500

 In a belated answer to the question about the paper on papain
digestion of gluten by Messer et al in Gut (5), 295-303 (1964), the
paper does not suggest that eating papain will allow a celiac person to
eat gluten.  The authors confirmed an earlier report that long
PREdigestion (42 hours) of gluten with a huge excess of crude papain
would make it non-toxic when ingested by a celiac.  They showed that
pure papain did not detoxify gluten and suggested that detoxification
was brought about by an enzyme, a contaminant in crude papain, that
released ammonia from gluten.  This was one of the early bits of
suggestive evidence that glutamine-containing peptide sequences were
important in accounting for gliadin toxicity in celiacs.  Since the
authors indicated that the detoxifying enzyme was both inactive and
unstable in the highly acid co;nditions existing in the stomach, there
is no way that papain ingestion will permit celiacs to eat
gluten-containing food.