Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 1995 13:53:36 -0800

Does anyone know if there is gluten contamination in the contents of most
wines? My celiac diet list has several things on it which I have already
questioned ( eg carte blanche use of vinegar when we can't use the malt
type). It's probably just the funny way it was phrased but my diet sheet
includes 'wines fortified with grain alcohol' as things that are ok. I am
finding that after a glass of very dry white wine (can't drink red due to
migraines) that I get gut disturbances the next day and sometimes a
headache as soon as an hour or two after. By now you can tell I don't
know much about alcohol, but all of this talk about cross contamination
of fields of grains and other plants has me wondering. I am also wondering
about the preservatives, and why we would be allowed to drink something
'fortified with grain' as my sheet says.

Lisa P