From:
"P.SHATTOCK" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 1995 11:43:27 +0000
In the UK, in spite of the best efforts of our government, we retain the
vestiges of our National Health Service. Under this system medications
are provided free of charge or at a uniform flat charge. Gluten Free
breads, biscuits, flour etc have, for many years, been available to
people diagnosed with Coeliac Disease.

Today we had, as far as I am aware, our first success for a person with
autism. The young boy's physician was sufficiently impressed by the
changes he had seen to prescribe gluten-free products on the NHS.
(totally free of charge for children.) If the bureaucrats who monitor
such prescriptions are not satisfied they can challenge the decision and
if they are successful the physician must pay out of his own pocket.

Of course, the physician could challenge the decision and the veracity of
the opioid excess theories of autism and the effectivenes of
gluten/casein free diets would be decided in a court of law. This should
be entertaining - perhaps the government will be forced to invest in a
decent scientific study.

Perhaps we can then celebrate Thanksgiving day over here.

Paul Shattock