From:
Nora Veldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:06:21 +0100

Dear Friends,

I have had my first biopsy today. As there might still be people on
this list that doubt if they should have it taken, I like to tell my
experience.

No sedation...

Lying on my side and with some plastic mouthpiece between my teeth a
tube was brought inside my mouth, through my throat, down my pipe and
stomach and than into the small intestine. It did not feel very nice,
thank you. My stomach especially was making peristaltic movements more
often than I had expected. Felt like a heavy attack of vomitting.

Everything was over in five minutes or so. I have to admit that it
felt longer. I had taken my boyfriend Bart with me because I thought
it would be much help to know that he was around. It really was a help
to feel his hand around my leg.

When I got up off the bench I felt relieved and actually just fine. So
I went to fetch my coat and did not see Bart anywhere. He had fainted!
He was looking very green, he had not eaten breakfast out of
solidarity (and in the haste to get to the hospital).

Anyway, my conclusion is that the op itself was not extremely nice,
but it was something overcome immediately after the tube was removed
from my mouth. Also the support I got from the staff was very good,
they kept telling me that I was doing very good and I kept wondering
how really bad had to feel than.

I'll know the results the 4th of december...

Love to you all

Nora Veldman

Utrecht/Amsterdam
Nederland