From:
"Ms. Ingrid Gordon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 06:23:49 -0600

I tried baking Bette Hagman's sour dough bread.  I am also allergic to
cow's milk, so I tried to make it with tofu instead of ricotta cheese.  The
bred turned out really dense and rubbery.  Even though this is a far cry
from the usual crumbly and dry, it still was not very good.
Has anyone out there had much experience substituting ricotta with some
sort of dairy free substance?  Or can I just skip that stuff all together?
NB:  I usually make my own ricotta cheese out of goat milk, but right now
they are out of season.
Ingrid Gordon

Ingrid Grete Gordon
University of Illinois School of Music