Gary Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 23:14:31 -0500

>I beg of you, PLEASE, someone tell me that Rice Dream is gluten-free.  It's
>the only beverage my toddler can/will drink (he has a severe problem with
>dairy).  What are the alternatives?  Suicide????  ARRRRGGH!

I don't think that suicide will be a necessary alternative.  The following
quote is from a letter from Jeannette Toneros, Consumer Relations Manager
of Imagine Foods, manufacturers of Rice Dream...

"...Our patented enzymatic process utilizes enzymes, which are grown on
various grains including barley, to convert the complex carbohydrates in
brownrice to naturally occurring sugars...the actual grains used to grow
the enzymes are discarded after the enzymes are extracted...The barley
protein in the final Rice Dream product, if present at all, would occur in
microscopic parts per million amounts.  In addition, the enzymes are
essentially used up in the process...It is therefore highly unlikely, but
still possible, that gluten may exist in minute amounts in the final
product."

I've been drinking Rice Dream for a long time. I am allergic to milk as
well as CS.  I even reacted to a product that had less than 1% wheat in it.
So I'm a good guinea pig.  I know that some folks would still say that
Rice Dream is not gluten free, but as far as I'm concerned, possible parts
per million works for me.

Gary Roberts