From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 18:50:33 -0800

Dear Linda and other soy sauce fans,

I use SAN-J Wheat-free Organic Tamari obtained from a health food store.
(1-800-222-3390) It contains alcohol fermented from corn, and is very salty
(160mg sodium per 1/2 teaspoon), so I dilute some before adding it to my
cooking.

I also use BRAGG Liquid Aminos, a dark, unfermented sauce made from
soybeans and water (110mg sodium per 1/2 teaspoon). It claims to be a
healthy alternative to Tamari-Soy Sauce. I like that it comes in a plastic
bottle with a squirt top. Found in health food stores.

If I may cite the marvelous GF Shopping Guide from the Tri-County Celiac
Group, EDEN Foods makes Wheat-Free Tamari (Domestic) and Wheat-Free Tamari
(Imported).  LA CHOY makes Stir Fry Mandarin. These were deemed GF this
past summer. La Choy is available in grocery stores.

In the latest CDF (Celiac Disease Foundation) Newsletter, there is a report
from Chun King representative Carol T. Hastings that CHUN KING's Soy Sauce
and Teriyaki Sauce are GF as their hydrolyzed vegetable protein comes from
soybeans and corn.

However, AVOID the Chun King Oriental Additions varieties of Hot Soy Sauce
and Hot Teriyaki Sauce which contain wheat.

I'd like to know what folks think of the Mr. Spice Sauces from Lang
Naturals before I order some.

Your food pal,
Mary
L.A.