From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 16:18:00 -0800

Tim,
Some of this information is already in the archives, but rice know-how is
pretty essential to the frugal and healthy celiac.

Sticky rice, a white, short-grain rice, is sold in Asian groceries and
health food stores with large bulk food sections.  If there are none near
your town, ask a local Asian restauranteur if s/he'll order some through
his/her distributor.

If you have a choice of Asian grocers, look for a store run by Southeast
Asians (Thai, Vietnamese, Laotian, etc) who use sticky/glutinous rice in
their everyday cooking.  A Southeast Asian customer tends to buy rice in
bulk and store it in a tightly sealed plastic trashcan to ward off vermin.
If you find it only sold it in huge bags, ask nicely and perhaps a grocer
will open a bag and sell it by the pound. In one Vietnamese store, I've
seen it pre-bagged in ziplocks.

I have eaten with Southeast Asians who pinch some rice off of the mound in
the serving dish and dip it into the main dish, often using it like a sc
oop. Koreans and Japanese also use it to make sushi. (See archives for my
sushi tips). Many Asian desserts use sticky rice and coconut milk/cream.
Not med advice, but those who do not digest fat well should steer clear of
coconut products. They are very tasty but high in saturated fat.

Sticky rice is steamed, which means there are several approaches to cooking
it. For Sushi, I bring it to a boil, lower heat and simmer it for ten
minutes and then turn off the heat and keep the lid on for another ten
minutes. One of my Thai dessert recipes says to soak it in hot water for
ten minutes, drain, and steam it for 25. Another one says soak for 5 to 8
hours, drain, then cook in double boiler for 25 minutes. And another Thai
cookbook says to soak it overnight, drain, and cook as you would regular
white rice: Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 20 minutes.  Bamboo
steamers are also sold for steaming rice/veg in a wok.

Basic Rice Tips:
Here's some textbook measurements for adding water to the rice pot:

Long Grain: 2 cups water for the first cup of rice; 1.5 cups for each
additional cup of rice, e.g.: 3 cups rice + 5 cups water
Short Grain: 1.5 cups water for the first cup of rice; 1 cup water for each
additional cup of rice, e.g.: 3 cups rice + 3.5 cups water

In Asia, my roomates taught me to add water to (long grain) rice according
to the knuckle system. I usually filled the pot with rice up to the first
knuckle of my index finger. Then, I was taught to add water up to (the
first wrinkle of)  my second knuckle. Other rice tips: Revive cold rice in
the microwave with a little water; or in a steamer or colander sitting
covered over boiling water (about 10 min). For fried rice dishes, use
leftover cold rice. Remember that cold rice may be frozen for later use.

My favorite rice trick is to cook brown rice in GF chicken broth. (simmer
50 minutes) Then, it tastes good enough as part of a cold lunch salad. Add
leftover veggies, tofu and/or meat. Season or not with GF soy sauce and/or
toasted sesame seeds. Regular leftover rice is a filling snack with yogurt
or soy milk and sliced fruit. I also like Karen Davis' blender rice drink
ideas and hope to graduate from my soy milk, rice and banana drink to the
higher-fat nut butter versions.

I don't like the taste of sweet rice flour in my breads and substitute
other fine flours for it. So, if your baked goods ever taste strange to
you, you might experiment with substitution.

Best to you and your family,
Mary