Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 09:22:20 -0400

It is good news for beer-drinkers that certain beers (and spirits) are
considered GF by the Swedish Celiac Society, but, in common with all celiacs,
skepticism has to be part of my survival mechanism.

I recall a thorough discussion of this not too long ago, during which a great
deal of research was done on the matter.  The net result was, I believe, that
it is actually impossible to make a completely GF beer; it was established
that even the Mexican and Japanese beers put forward as candidates contained,
in the end, suspect ingredients (does anyone else recall these findings?)

Looking at the list, I am pretty sure that Foster's and "Bud" are brewed in the
traditional manner, as is Tuborg, a lager; I have never heard of Urquell, so
cannot comment.

I think the reason for skepticism is justified, because, in my experience,
beer is more insidious than grain foods in terms of damage, so I would not
want to risk it, without at least a second opinion from another authoritative
source.

Could we get a second opinion on these particular beers, based on tests
similar to from the SCA?  I also wonder who did the tests for the association?

Incidentally, what is the significance of Class III and Class II?

                                        John Wiseman