Debra Boutin-Grad Student <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 05:51:17 -0500

I also recently bought this book.  I found lots of good information, most
of which I already had.  But the author's attitude is WONDERFUL.  I actually
cried at a few different points in her book.  When she wrote about how
really hard it was to give up these wonderful comfort foods, and when she
wrote about the necessity for mourning our loss.  That's when I realized
that after a year of being GF, I still had not mourned my loss.  At first
I was to happy to find out what was wrong with me and that there was some-
thing I could do about it.  Now that the initial pleasure in being able
to (at least mostly) control my own well-being has settled in, I find that
I really DO need to mourn.  I'm just beginning to realize the extent of
the loss I feel.  So I WILL allow myself to mourn for a while.

I also love the way Jax deals with being a celiac.  Bringing her own spoon
to cocktail parties, her own bread to restaurants, talking back to sulky
waitstaff.  I don't think I will ever had her kind of guts in these mattters
but it was great to read!

Debra L. Boutin
math.cornell.edu