Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 08:45:59 -0400

When I posted a while back asking for info & advice about doctors of
nutrition, several ppl e-mailed me privately and said they would be
interested in the results.

Well, although the results are rather embarrasing, I will post them anyway.
First of all, I went to the only doctor in the phone book who was listed
under nutritional medicine & was an md.  When I called the office, they
said that he had other patients with CD and had treated them successfully.

I brought whatever recent bloodwork I could dig up because they also
indicated that I would be responsible for payment of everything up front
- they do not deal with insurance companies (retrospectively - I
personally feel that this is not a good sign).

My first visit cost me almost $400.  He did a lot of blood work and an
exam.  He really didn't have much to say about CD.  I didn't feel
comfortable with him and his procedures but I decided to go back to at
least get my blood test results.

Went back yesterday.  All routine blood and urine test results were
normal:  blood counts & chemistry.  This was a good sign because I used to be
 anemic.
The only results that were outside range were:
        E - B virus at 139
        Herpes Virus (HHV-6), IgG & IgM:
                Herpes Virus -6, IgG    at      42

I had read that most of the population had these viruses and I feel very
skeptical about these results and this doctor's methodology.  His
treatment for this is twice a week injections of KUTAPRESSIN (a liver
derivative complex)((at $40 a pop))for 6-8 weeks and the following
supplement regimen:

Twice a day:    2 astragalus, 2 ashwagandha, 2 germanium, 2 saw palmetto,
1 picroliv, 1 phyllanthol, 2 boswella, 2 pau d' arco

I am ashamed to say that I let him give me one injection yesterday and
took home a giant bag of these supplements from his office.  All this
cost me $285.  On the receipt he lists all these vitamins as "Prescribed
Medications."

I stopped at a reputable health food store on my way home from his office
and they said that they had all of these supplements except one available
in the store and they would cost a lot less then the $145 he charged.

I feel very foolish.  All I wanted was someone to give me a good combo of
vitamins to supplement my diet.  I have read (maybe too much info is a
bad thing) that too much vitamins & minerals can also be harmful so I was
trying to do a little preventative medicine.

Since being diagnosed with CD last March, I have had a few other problems
- level 2 pap results which required cyrosurgery & benign thyroid tumor; so
I thought that maybe in coordination with the Celiac diet, I needed a
little extra something to boost my immune system.  I am a little tired
but I work full time, have a house and family that I care for and feel
that I am functioning OK.

I do not plan to follow through with this treatment.  I just hope that my
insurance company will reinburse me for some of this expense.  The rest I
guess I will chalk up to experience.  I would like some feedback on these
viruses and procedures if anyone out there has ever heard of any of this.

Thank you,

 Debbie Resch West Creek,
New Jersey [log in to unmask]