From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 08:32:54 -0400

At 05:54 PM 10/19/95 -0400, Tom Anglim <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Could you please post where you got your information concerning a connection
>with Celiac Disease and ADHA.  I too am a celiac with a son with ADD.

Here are a bunch of things that I keep on my hard disk:

(1) The following is taken from the "Celiac Sprue" flyer from CSA/USA (Box
31700, Omaha, NE 68131 402-558-0600): "...; personality changes (especially
common in children with sprue; they become unable to concentrate, are
irritable, cranky, and have difficulties with mental alertness and memory
function); can also occur in adults; ..."

(2) The following is from the February 1995 Sprue-nik Press newsletter as
posted to the Celiac Mailing list on 3/8/95. It included Misc. Highlights
from the 1994 American Celiac Society Conference.

"Question (to Alessio Fasano, Pediatric Gastroenterologist, University of
Maryland <[log in to unmask]>): Is there an association between
celiac disease and attention deficit or hyperactivity in children? Yes, but
only for untreated celiacs. Once the child goes on a gluten-free diet, these
problems tend to disappear. A related question: Is there a link between
behavioral problems and celiac disease in children? Once again, the answer
is yes, but only for untreated celiacs. It is the malnutrition that leads to
the problem."

(3) From Gluten Intolerance Group of North America, (Box 23053, Seattle, WA
98102 206-325-6980) - "Gluten-Sensitive Enteropathy: Up-Date for Health Care
Professionals" May, 1992: "Behavioral changes - such as irritability and
inability to concentrate, may be reported in undiagnosed children. Adults
often relate difficulties in short-term memory and concentration...."

(4) From Coeliac Disease, by Dr. Michael Marsh, Blackwell Scientific
Publications, November 1992. - Chapter 2 (by Jacques Schmitz) - p.30 - "The
effects of the gluten-free diet are most often spectacular, particularly in
toddlers. Behavioural disorders are the first to subside..."

(5) Marsh's book again - Chapter 3 - on CD in adults, written by Peter
Howdle and Monty S. Losowsky. p. 55 - "Psychological changes have also been
widely investigated, but are difficult to quantify. Many patients appear to
be depressed, while others are irritable, morose or difficult to relate
to... Nevertheless, in some case reports, treatment with a gluten-free diet
has resulted in spectacular improvements in mental function."

(6) Lisa Lewis, PhD, <[log in to unmask]> has put up an excellent web
page on diet and autism. Explains what is happening with intestinal
permeability, etc. It is 46K of info and I or she can e-mail if one doesn't
have web access.

 http://www.princeton.edu/~lisas/gfpak.html

(7) Dr. Kalle Reichelt <[log in to unmask]>, of the Pediatric Research
Institute in Oslo, Norway has been researching the impact of gluten and
casein intolerance on certain individuals with developmental delays. A
collected set of his articles written for the Net has been put up at:

 http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/reichelt.html

The articles include:

1. Intolerance to food proteins
2. Diet and mental disease
3. Diet
4. Gluten, autism and schizophrenia
5. Autism and coeliac disease.
6. Intestinal permeability in schizophrenia
7. Trace amount of protein in milk.
8. Diet and mental disease.
9. ADDHA.
10. Schizophrenia and diet
11. Gluten, casein and behaviour
12. Ear infections, allergy, autism & gluten
13. Behaviour and Gluten
14. Downs syndrome and gut permeability

They are very enlightening, somewhat technical and include many references
to published studies. It is 53K of info and I can easily e-mail it if one
doesn't have web access.

Don in NYC