From:
Sus Shawhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 23:59:54 -0400

[log in to unmask] (Joan K. Van Loozenoord)  wrote:

>I have not found a good substitute for ricotta (cottage cheese just doesn't
>have the same flavor!)  and miss it :( .  It seems like it should be
>possible to make ricotta without vinegar.

I remember years ago making 'cheese' (panier) for an Indian recipe -- we used
lemon to make a big pot of boiling milk curdle, then strained it through
cheesecloth overnight.  The taste reminded me a lot of ricotta.  You can add
extra milk solids (powdered) before you boil it to get richer cheese.  You
might even be able to buy it from an Indian ggrocery or restaurant.