From:
Ron Bardell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 00:36:29 -0700

On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, Alexander Maines wrote:

> My question is this. I don't seem to have any interest in taking a
> high stress career again. I picture myself doing something out of the
> house in something which I can control the demands. Is this something
> that other CELIACs feel?

Hi! Alex, I can certainly relate to your situation. I am 45. I used to
work for Westinghouse. Just as I becaome involved in two high-pressure
projects my health rapidly worsened, probably from complications of
untreated celiac. In spite of bone/muscle loss and debilitating weakness
(I could barely walk in from the parking lot) I continued putting in long
hours. After I was made redundant I enrolled in a grueling Master's degree
program in engineering. Once again, long hours. Now I'm GF and much
healthier, (I can ride my bike), and it's time to cash in on my new degree
with a good job. But I'm reticent to sign up for more toil. Long hours
seem the rule of the day now --- sounds like a waking nightmare to me. Is
this what they call being "burned-out"?

I think being sick & weak during those years changed me. I am now acutely
aware of the pleasure of spending an afternoon with a friend walking in
the sun in a park. I have discovered other passions and hobbies that have
no obvious money-producing potential. I would love to work no more than 30
hours a week and I'd be satisfied with even 2/3 of the usual pay in my
field. But I haven't seen any employers seeking part-timers, and I haven't
come up with a money making home business. So I guess I'm not much help to
you. :-) I'm hoping that temp work (pays okay for engineers) might be
acceptable as a compromise, ie. work long hours for 6 months, then take
the next 3 months off. A feast/famine cycle. Not an optimum solution. I
guess the question to ask ourselves is, "What service can I provide
cheaper, better, or first?"

Ron, in Seattle.