From:
"Joe S. Warren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 10:48:14 PDT

Paul:

You wrote, in part:
<snip>
>  I intend to talk with my GI about getting a
>diagnosis, but I am interested in what outward symptoms one
>experiences with CD.
>
>I have recently had a diagnosis of dermatitis herpetiformes
>and, from reading this list, am aware of its connection to CD.
>As far as I know, I do not have any of the symptoms of CD but
>as noted above, I am not exactly sure what the outward symptoms
>are.  If I am now asymptomatic but do in fact have CD, what
>symptoms might I expect to see if it becomes symptomatic?

I don't think you will find a list of "outward symptoms" for CD.  They are so
varied that almost any symptom conceivable might be attributed to CD.  I am
not a medical professional but I have been involved with celiac support
groups for about 15 years and have listened to hundreds of horror stories.  I
personally believe that the undiagnosed (and/or the "poorly-treated-) celiac
suffers from some degree of malabsorption and the symptoms vary according to
the individual's ability to cope with whatever his body is not absorbing at
the moment.  The most common symptom seems to be fatigue and lack of energy.

You state you were recently diagnosed with DH.  I think current thinking is
that you are celiac (Perhaps someone else on this list can provide the
specific reference; I remember reading it and I think it was in Michael
Marsh's book on Coeliac Disease).  In any case, the treatment is identical--a
gluten free diet for life.

Joe S. Warren
Titusville, FL 32796-3902