From:
"P.SHATTOCK" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 00:24:36 +0100

Red Kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) and Chick Peas (Cicer arietinum)
both contain substances known as lectins or hemagglutinins. However, they
are present in only very low quantities in the chick peas. High levels of
raw kidney beans will kill rats (on account of the lectin activity). As
the name implies, they will cause agglutination of red blood cells but,
as far as we are concerned, their main effect is on the intestinal wall
where they interfere with absorption of nutrients. They may also depress
the immune system so that otherwise pretty harmless organisms can become
established. You might also see diarrhoea etc.

Lectins are destroyed by wet heat (boiling or steaming) but will not be
affected by dry heat. Therefore, when kidney beans are cooked they should
be soaked beforehand in order to make sure that the water penetrates
right through to the whole of the bean.

There may be alkaloids as well in a lot of beans but I don't think they
are of much significance in this case. If you want to talk "Broad beans"
now there really is a story.

Sorry to go on but you did ask.